SUPERMARKET giant Asda has launched a “full investigation” amid claims defrosted food was re-frozen and sold to customers at its Hartlepool store.
It is understood the alarm was raised by a staff member at the Marina Way store.
Asda was alerted and has launched a probe and staff have been given further training on food hygiene.
Government watchdog the Food Standards Agency has issued guidelines on its website on frozen foods.
It states: “Refrozen food has a higher risk of causing food poisoning because, as explained, when food is thawed, bacteria can multiply rapidly – particularly if at room temperature.
“So if the product is refrozen these bacteria will survive, and when defrosted again, it is more likely that the bacteria would reach harmful levels and cause food poisoning.”
An Asda spokeswoman said: “We take food hygiene extremely serious and launched a full investigation.
“All colleagues have received further training so they are fully aware of all procedures.”