A LANDLORD has been released from hospital following a fire in his pub which almost claimed his life.
Peter Watson was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, in Stockton, following the blaze which ripped through The New Inn, in Durham Street, on the Headland, in Hartlepool.
But Cleveland Police revealed the 57-year-old’s condition had improved enough for him to be released.
He is said to be staying with family in the town.
Officers also said the investigation into the fire, which happened at around 12.30am on September 3, is continuing to try to establish exactly how the blaze was started.
A spokeswoman for Cleveland Police said: “We have been in touch with the hospital and staff there have said that a 57-year-old man has been discharged from hospital.”
The pub is still boarded up following the incident and one resident, a woman in her 50s who did not wish to be named, said: “There’s been no sign of anyone at the pub and from what I know I think the landlord is staying with family, possibly his daughter.”
Firefighters pulled unconscious Peter from the smoke engulfed pub after it went up in flames.
Just moments earlier his wife Christine, who was screaming frantically to try and wake her husband, was helped down to the ground from a first floor window.
Both were in their home above the pub when the blaze ripped through the building.
Mrs Watson had managed to make it to the window and scream for help but while she was helped to safety, her husband was unconscious in a smoke-filled room where he is believed to have been for 15 minutes while the fire took hold.
Six firefighters with breathing apparatus managed to pull him from the inferno and he was rushed to hospital where he is said to be in a serious condition.
Neighbours watched on in horror as the thick black smoke and fire billowed from the pub.
Five fire appliances from Stranton, the Headland, Billingham and Stockton all attended the scene to put out the blaze and rescue the couple.
Andy Robinson, watch manager at Stranton Fire Station, said that he believed the fire started on the ground floor and the bar area was completely destroyed.
Anyone with information can ring Hartlepool Police on the non-emergency 101 number or contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.