Kids are doing it by the book!
THERE were some familiar faces in schools across Hartlepool as pupils and staff got into the spirit of things for World Book Day.
Harry Potter, Willy Wonka, Disney Princesses and Oompa Loompas all turned up for class to mark the annual day to celebrate reading.
Mail photographers got in on the act at two schools, Greatham and St Bega’s primaries, where youngsters proudly showed off their fancy dress outfits and picked up prizes for their efforts.
Both schools also held a variety of activities in classes throughout the day including governors reading to pupils and writing profiles of different characters.
Sarah Rayner, literacy co-ordinator at Greatham Primary School, said: “The children had a lovely day and getting dressed up just added to the fun.”
Jane Dolphin, the deputy head and literacy co-ordinator at St Bega’s, added: “The children had lots of fun and the event raised awareness of reading for enjoyment.”
World Book Day, now in its 16th year, celebrates authors, illustrators, books and reading and is marked in over 100 countries all over the world.
- Controversial plans to move hospital wards from Hartlepool to Stockton
- Hospital chief should ‘hand back MBE’ if more services are moved
- £500,000 drug addiction cost Hartlepool businessman ‘everything’
- Hartlepool death crash driver may have been making u-turn
- Ritchie Humphreys set for Hartlepool United exit but Sam Collins and Andy Monkhouse stay
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Hartlepool
Sunday 19 May 2013
Temperature: 9 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 10 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 9 C to 17 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: North