THERE was no place like home for bouncing baby William Myles when he chose to make his big entrance into the world.
William was born in the living room at home when he arrived five days early.
The healthy tot was delivered by proud dad Marty Myles after mum Karen’s contractions came on sooner than expected.
Her waters broke early that morning but after a visit to Hartlepool Birthing Centre the couple, of Sheriff Street, Hartlepool, were sent home until there were any more developments.
But after a hot bath Karen’s contractions got stronger and within an hour William was born.
Marty, 38, who works as a safety advisor at Hartlepool Power Station, said: “Nothing much happened throughout the day and at about 2.30pm the midwife said she could stay until something developed or go home for something to eat and to relax which we did.
“I filled a bath for Karen and she got in but she started screaming in pain. I managed to get her downstairs and in the living room and laid a bath towel down.
“I rang for an ambulance and was looking out every time I heard a car engine but there was no sign. Then Karen said ‘he’s coming’.”
The couple, who have another son called James, two, were given advice on what to do over the phone from the ambulance service.
Marty added: “Suddenly this calm descended over us and I thought what am I panicking for, it’s a natural process and I said to Karen ‘if you want to push, push’.
“After about two pushes the head was out then with the next one he just fell into my hands.”
Marty then cleared William’s mouth of mucus and wrapped him in a towel. Within minutes, an ambulance arrived and Marty cut the cord.
He weighed in at 7lb 9oz and since his birth on December 17 now weighs 9lb 9oz.
Karen, 38, was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees in Stockton to be checked over and was allowed home the following afternoon.
Karen, who is also a full time mum to two-year-old James, said: “I was in total and utter panic. It was just surreal and the shock that it happened so quickly.
“I was in a lot of pain and only had paracetamol. If it hadn’t been for Marty I would have been even worse.
“He was very good.”