DCSIMG

Road closed off amid smoke worries

Emergency services in Tankerville Street

Emergency services in Tankerville Street

A STREET was cordoned off by firefighters as a precaution after smoke was seen coming from under a pavement.

Tankerville Street, in Hartlepool, was taped off at its junction with Grange Road yesterday morning after a member of the public spotted the smoke rising into the air – sparking safety worries.

Experts say it was caused by heavy rain water running into an electrical junction box under the pavement.

Emergency services cordoned off the area as a precaution until Northern Power Grid arrived at the scene and carried out repairs.

A Cleveland Police spokesman said: “An officer on duty was stopped by a member of the public at 9.15am to say smoke was coming from the ground.

“The fire brigade attended and members of the public were directed away.

“By 10am it was realised that it was not a danger and the road was re-opened shortly afterwards.”

 
 
 

Back to the top of the page