DCSIMG

Woodcutter pub site could become 14 new houses

Former Woodcutter pub boss Chris Farrow

Former Woodcutter pub boss Chris Farrow

A FORMER pub could soon be demolished and replaced with 14 houses, if plans are approved.

Hartlepool Borough Council’s planning committee will meet next week to discuss the plans for the former Woodcutter pub site, in Kingsley Avenue, Hartlepool.

The pub closed its doors for the final time in January this year when developers revealed plans for housing on the site.

If planning permission is granted, it will make way for 14 houses.

The plans are going before the council’s planning committee because there has been five objections to the plans.

A planning report said: “Planning permission is sought for the erection of 14 houses on the site of the vacant pub, The Woodcutter.

“The houses would be two-and-a-half-storey three-bed houses and would be set out in four rows of terraces of three and one pair of semi-detached dwellings.”

The report added that some plots would be accessed from Kingsley Avenue, while the others coming off Waverley Terrace.

Plans show that each house would have two parking spaces to the front, with private rear gardens.

The development site includes the former Woodcutter Pub and car park and is next to the Rift House Recreation Ground, with Kingsley Primary School over the road.

The Mail reported in October that the pub was the latest in town to fall under 
the axe to make way for new development after speculation mounted early last year when Woodcutter manager Chris Farrow gave up his three-year tenancy at the premises.

However, after the threat of closure in October, the pub was granted a stay of execution and remained open throughout the festive period.

Town businessman Jon Whitfield, of Euro Property Management, said earlier this year: “It’s a nice scheme in a good area.

“The pub obviously came to the end of its life, there was three or four people using it on Saturday afternoons and that was it apart from functions and it couldn’t just rely on functions alone.

“The scheme complements the area so hopefully it should be approved.”

Ahead of the meeting there had been five objections, with concerns around the size of the proposed houses, safety of children crossing the road, and the over development of the area.

The plans are recommended to be approved subject to a legal agreement to secure £10,500 contribution towards green infrastructure, play and built sports facilities.

If approved, the homes are expected to sell for between £129,950 and £139,950.

The council’s planning committee, chaired by Labour councillor Rob Cook, will meet on Wednesday, July 9 at the Civic Centre, in Victoria Road, at 10am.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page