Lucky escape after chip pan fire in fifth-floor Billingham flat


A MAN had a lucky escape as he fled a chip pan fire in his fifth-floor flat.

A crew from Stranton Fire Station, in Hartlepool, joined two other crews from Billingham and Stockton and a hydraulic platform to tackle a blaze at a block of flats in Priory Court, in Low Grange Avenue, in Billingham.

A spokesman for Stranton Fire Station said the occupant, a man aged about 30, got out of the flat once he realised the pan was on fire and shut the door behind him.

There was 40 per cent fire damage and 20 per cent smoke damage to the flat and two sets of breathing apparatus were used.

The incident happened just after midnight into Tuesday and the crews spent about half an hour at the scene.

Meanwhile, a crew from Peterlee Fire Station, along with one from Seaham, tackled a blaze in a bedroom in a flat above a shop in Wingate Lane, Wheatley Hill, around 3.50pm on Monday after reports of smoke coming from the flat. No-one was reported trapped.