Man crashed stolen bike in police chase

A BANNED driver ended up lying on the floor screaming in agony after the stolen motorbike he was riding in a police chase crashed.

John William Robinson was spotted by police on the motorbike in Holt Street, in the Stranton area of Hartlepool, before he set off on the four-street daylight pursuit.

Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court heard officers tried to make the 25-year-old stop. But he refused and turned right into Lister Street and right again into Waldon Street.

Robinson then started to pick up speed, not braking or using his indicators, and as he reached the junction with Elwick Road he collided with a car which was travelling towards York Road.

The force of the crash saw him thrown into the air, before he ended up lying on the ground screaming.

Prosecuting, Lorraine Cooper told justices: “Police officers could see the defendant lying on the ground screaming with the motorbike five-feet away and upside down.

“The defendant had a lump to the right side of his forehead which was bleeding and he was later taken to hospital to have his injuries treated.”

The court heard the motorbike had been stolen from the rear of a house in John Howe Gardens, in Hartlepool, on May 17.

Mrs Cooper said Robinson told police that he was offered the bike for sale for £40 the next day by two men in Holt Street.

She said: “He went to get his helmet and returned and bought the bike, not believing it had been stolen. However, he valued it at between £100 to £140 at a garage.

“He said he pushed it up the street and then started driving, even though he knew he shouldn’t have been. He said his driving was not dangerous and he never exceeded the speed limit.

“He said, however, if he had not crashed the police would not have caught him.”

Robinson, of Windermere Road, Belle Vue, Hartlepool – who has a “lengthy record” – pleaded guilty to driving while disqualified, using a vehicle without insurance, driving without due care and attention, and receiving stolen goods, all on July 18.

His solicitor, Neil Taylor, offered no mitigation on this occasion as chairman of the bench Sandra Mason adjourned the case for the preparation of a pre-sentence report.

Robinson was released on bail to return to court for sentencing on August 19.