Man hurt by falling ceiling

PARAMEDICS tended to a man after a square-foot piece of plaster fell on his head while he watched TV at home.

An ambulance crew and fire crew attended a house in Seventh Street, Horden, after a chunk of plaster came loose from the ceiling and landed on the man’s head.

The man, who is thought to be in his 40s and who was at home with his partner at the time, rang the fire service for help, with fire personnel contacting the ambulance service.

A crew from Peterlee Fire Station attended and pulled away other loose plaster to make the ceiling safe and advised the occupant to get the ceiling checked.

A station spokesman said there was no structural damage to the house.

Paramedics checked the man over but he was not taken to hospital and not thought to have been seriously hurt.

Firefighters spent 40 minutes at the scene following the incident, which took place around 5.30pm yesterday.