Man hurt in blast

A MAN was taken to hospital with severe burns after a gas explosion inside a shed.

The roof was blown off the shed as a result of the gas blast in A J Cook Terrace, in Shotton Colliery, at 6.30am this morning.

The 30-year-old man had lit up a cigarette inside the shed, which he used as a workshop and had accidentally left a gas flame on the night before, which caused the blast.

He was taken to James Cook University Hospital, in Middlesbrough, by ambulance with severe burns to his head, arms and legs.

Crews from Peterlee Fire Station were called to the blast.

A spokesman for Peterlee Fire station said: “The gas blast was an accident. He had a little gas fire in there which hadn’t been turned off properly.

“The man was conscious but shaken and severely burnt.”

He was inside the shed by himself at the time.

Fire crews said there was no fire after the initial gas blast and they made the area safe.