Man saved from Hartlepool home by firefighters thanks to neighbour's call

Firefighters helped rescue a man from his Hartlepool home last night
Firefighters helped rescue a man from his Hartlepool home last night

A Hartlepool man is lucky to be alive after he was rescued from his smoke-filled home by firefighters.

Two crews from Stranton fire station and one from the Headlands were called to Brenda Road, at 9.50pm, yesterday.

A quick-thinking neighbour had dialled 999 after hearing a smoke-alarm sounding.

A man had fallen asleep while cooking.

Firefighters broke down the door to the property and one man was led to safety from his smoke-filled home.

He was checked over by paramedics as a precaution.

Acting Watchmanager Steven Kitching said: "The man had left a pan on and had fallen asleep. It was the neighbour who raised the alarm.

"Luckily he did have a working smoke alarm which is what alerted the neighbour.

"It is vitally important people have a working smoke alarm and that they are tested regularly.

"People should also remain alert at all times when cooking."