Man taken to hospital after Hartlepool kitchen fire

editorial image

A MAN was taken to hospital after a flat fire in Hartlepool marina at midnight.

Three fire engines from Stranton fire station responded to the alarm at Charter House, where a frying pan had caught fire.

One male occupant was taken to hospital as a precaution following smoke inhalation

Extensive damage was caused to the cooker and kitchen area of the property, however the fire was contained to the flat where it started.

Watch manager Ronnie Olds said: “We try to advise people not to use frying pans and chip pans late at night, when they have possibly been drinking and may be less aware of what is going on around them.”

He added: “The message I would like to put across is the importance of having working smoke alarms and testing them on a weekly basis.

“You can call the fire station for a fire safety check and we can fit free alarms if need be.”

For advice, call the fire station on (01425) 874 063.