Missing man – search goes on

sss
sss
0
Have your say

THE detective in charge of finding missing man Scott Fletcher has vowed to keep searching for him despite having “explored all avenues”.

Acting Detective Inspector Alan Todd, of Hartlepool CID, has been leading a team of officers in the search for the 27-year-old who has not been seen for two months.

He is now calling on people to rack their brains and make sure they have not seen Scott since he was last sighted at around 8.20pm on May 11.

Scott is also being sought by Durham Constabulary over a court warrant issued for him in connection with a masked machete attack in the Oddfellows Pub, in Haswell, near Peterlee.

Acting Det Insp Todd said: “I want residents to be assured that we are doing everything we can to find Scott and reunite him with his family.

“There does come a point in every investigation when we need to look at what we can do next when we have explored all avenues, but what will continue is our need for help and support from members of the public and that’s why I’m renewing our appeal.”

Reports suggest Scott was last seen in a layby opposite the Jet garage on the A181 at Wheatley Hill.

Since he was reported missing on May 18, officers have been distributing posters, talking to residents and working with Durham Constabulary to make enquires with friends he has in their area.

Durham’s police became involved after Scott, of Kilmory Walk, Hartlepool, failed to appear at Newcastle Crown Court on Wednesday, June 22, in connection with the pub brawl.

A warrant was issued for his arrest as he faces a charge of conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm to others on April 10 last year, but has yet to enter a plea.

The incident in the pub was said to be over an unsettled debt and saw a gang of balaclava-wearing men storm the building armed with machetes and baseball bats.

Robert Mawson, 40, of Haswell, needed treatment for a cut to his forearm that went down to the bone and died three months after the attack from an unrelated illness.

Three other men were injured during the fracas, including a 46-year-old man who suffered a fractured skull when he was hit by a baseball bat.

Michael Metcalfe, 24, of West View Road, Hartlepool, Eugene Sweeney, 25, of Kingstown, Carlisle, and Lewis Jeavons, 21, of Durham Road, Consett, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to cause grievous bodily harm to others and were bailed to be sentenced during the week beginning August 8.

Anyone who knows of Scott’s whereabouts is asked to contact Acting Det Insp Todd on (01642) 302178.