Mitchell's bike ride dream could come true

A YOUNGSTER'S dreams of finally riding a bike could come true after a life-changing operation in America.

The Mail is following the progress of 10-year-old Mitchell Spencer who suffers from cerebral palsy.

The West Park Primary School pupil has just undergone surgery at St Louis Children's Hospital, in Missouri, USA, to cut the nerves in his legs which were sending faulty messages to his muscles.

His mum Deborah, 45, has written a diary following her son's progress from the moment they jetted off to the States to the outcome of the surgery.

She has shared it with the Mail – and describes how surgeons have given the youngster hope that his dream of riding a bike could finally come true.

Mitchell jetted to America last week with his mum and dad Phil, 43.

Deborah said they were given the excellent news during his first appointment at the hospital with the legendary Dr Park.

She added: "He told us that all the things that Mitch has problems with now mobility wise would be achievable.

"He also told us that although Mitch will never walk perfectly, he will walk flat-footed and be able to run, jump, skip and hop. Also the biggest dream of Mitch, to be able to ride a bike, would be possible."

She said the operation went very well and was even finished an hour head of schedule.

The mum-of-three added: "We told him that he had already had his op and he lay quietly for a few minutes and then said the words we had been so hoping to hear, "you know, I've always felt like I was walking on logs and now they feel like twigs".

"We did not dare look at each other for a moment. Then the happy tears started.

"Poor Mitch, he must have wondered what had happened. Mum and dad stood hugging each other and crying like babies."

But soon after the operation Mitchell was heavily sedated, which caused him to fall into a deep drug-induced sleep.

"This caused him to forget to breathe," Deborah added. "We hadn't been prepared for this and we spent five long hours at his bedside watching the monitors dipping further down and then the alarms sounding and the nurse coming in to rouse

him and get his breathing started again.

"I can honestly say I've never been so scared in all my life. It felt like we were watching him fade away.

"After the first hour we started to shake him gently on the shoulder when we knew the alarm was going to sound. The nurse told us eventually that it was quite normal, they didn't seem concerned, but it wasn't their little boy laid on that bed."

Doctors have started physiotherapy and he faces further surgery on Wednesday, November 10, to lengthen his heel cords and hamstrings before he is due to return home on Monday, November 22.

The cost of Mitchell's USA trip and operation was paid for thanks to a massive fundraising campaign called Get Mitchell to America, which has so far raised around 50,000.