DCSIMG

Homes and buildings left devastated

editorial image

editorial image

IN the second of our features, we examine some of the pictures which showed the damage our town suffered.

The ruins attracted big crowds.

After all, Hartlepool had never seen the like before.

The shelling of the town in the bombardment of December 16, 1914, was a sustained affair and lasted around an hour.

As these photographs show, the shells took out whole sections of houses.

One clearly shows one house in Cleveland Road wrecked, and its neighbours with whole floors ruined.

Next to the wrecked properties was a crowd of more than 20 people including children seemingly there to collect debris.

It looked as if whole communities chipped in with the clear-up effort.

Elsewhere in Hartlepool, the Rectory was almost completely without a roof after the devastation.

Properties in Mary Street were badly hit and so were outhouses.

And the outline of damage at a property in Scarborough Street in West Hartlepool clearly shows the outline of where a six inch shell pierced the concrete.

Another photograph taken in Victoria Place shows bedroom shelving left exposed to the elements after the outside of a house was blown to smithereens.

Some streets were barricaded because of the sheer level of damage.

And yet not all of the damage was caused by shell impact.

The Town Hall had its windows broken from the effect of the explosions even though they were some distance away.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page