Parents of tragic Hartlepool toddler Jacob Jenkins urge families to be vigilant at mealtimes

Abigail Wilson and David Jenkins, whose tragic son Jacob died after choking on a grape.
Abigail Wilson and David Jenkins, whose tragic son Jacob died after choking on a grape.

The parents of tragic Hartlepool toddler Jacob Jenkins, who died after choking on a grape, have issued a warning to other families in the hope it will help save lives.

The two-year-old was in Pizza Hut with his mum, Abigail Wilson, 23, and dad, David Jenkins, 31, when the fruit became lodged in his throat.

Abigail with Jacob before tragedy struck the family.

Abigail with Jacob before tragedy struck the family.

Despite them both being first aid-trained, the couple, from Hartlepool, were unable to dislodge it, and Jacob died later in hospital.

The tragic news prompted a huge reaction in the town, with a seafront vigil taking place and more than £20,000 being raised online.

Hundreds of mourners also lined the streets for the toddler's funeral.

Ms Wilson has now spoken out about what happened and has urged parents to make sure they cut up their children's food.

Dad David with tragic Jacob.

Dad David with tragic Jacob.

She said: "Until this happened you just didn't realise just how important it is for people to know first aid.

"It wouldn't have saved Jacob, but knowing it could save someone's life.

"When I think of all the times I had given Jacob food and then left him eating while I carried on with housework or whatever, it doesn't bear thinking about.

I wouldn't want parents to be paranoid, but I would ask for parents to be more cautious when their children are eating."

She said it was really important that parents give their children their full attention as they eat, to avoid another tragedy.

She also paid tribute to the people of Hartlepool, saying their support had been incredible.