Phone pest in court for harassment

0
Have your say

A TEXT pest was drunk when he sent threatening messages to his ex-girlfriend and her new partner and branded them as “rarfs”.

Hartlepool man Anthony Parry claimed he sent the abusive text messages to his former partner because he was “unable to accept the fact that she had moved on” following the break-up of their 13-year relationship.

So the 43-year-old made a string of abusive text and voice messages to the woman between July 27-31, with one stating: “You know what’s going to happen”, another saying: “I’m waiting outside”, and another calling them “rarfs” and telling the new boyfriend to meet him outside The Globe pub, on the Headland.

Parry, of Grange Road, was arrested at the weekend and appeared at Hartlepool Magistrates’ Court in custody on Monday where he pleaded guilty to harassment without violence, namely sending the victim abusive text messages and voicemails of a threatening nature.

Prosecuting, Lilian Atkinson told justices: “This defendant and the complainant had been in an on-off relationship for about 13 years but they separated in December last year.

“There is a previous history of domestic violence between the parties and the defendant has a conviction for assault against the same complainant back in 2002.

“The complainant has a new partner, and the defendant seems unable to accept the fact that she’s moved on.

“On July 20 she says text messages started to be sent to her phone which were of a threatening nature made by this defendant.

“This culminated in two voicemail messages being sent from Parry’s phone making threats towards her and her partner.”

She added: “The complainant said she didn’t want to tell police because she was frightened about what might happen due to the domestic violence problems previously.

“She said she was terrified, and was constantly looking over her shoulder.”

Parry’s solicitor Barry Gray, in mitigation, said his client had been depressed since the breakdown of the relationship, has a problem with alcohol - through which he lost his previous job - and the messages were sent when he was drunk.

“He views his behaviour, as far as I can make out, as unacceptable,” said Mr Gray.

“The messages are clearly sent from a drunken person or someone who’s not in complete control of his senses because they are virtually incomprehensible.

“He accepts that he used bad language and referred to the recipients as ‘rarfs’, whatever that means. He has been brought to his senses with the police turning up at his house on Saturday night and bringing him into custody.”

Parry, who has been working for the past three weeks and has consulted experts about his booze problem, will be back in court on August 25 to learn his fate.

Chairman of the bench Keith Gorton granted him conditional bail until that time.