Police chief patrols booze hotspots

Jacqui Cheer
Jacqui Cheer
Have your say

A SENIOR police chief took to patrolling the streets of Hartlepool to see how front-line officers deal with revellers.

Cleveland Police’s Temporary Chief Constable Jacqui Cheer could be seen out and about with Hartlepool Police officers in the town centre on Saturday night.

Temporary Chief Cons Cheer joined officers as they policed the night-time economy in the town’s drinking hotspots, including in the Victoria Road and Church Street areas.

She has previously taken part in similar patrols in the town as part of a hands-on approach.

Her visit came on the back of the Respect campaign, which deals with nuisances in the town centre and has led to a drop in crime, as previously reported by the Hartlepool Mail.

A Cleveland Police spokeswoman said: “Since joining the force as Temporary Chief Constable in October last year, Mrs Cheer has made it a priority to join front-line officers in each of our districts on their routine patrols.

“Last Saturday, she joined officers in Hartlepool town centre as they policed the night-time economy.”

Other measures helping to bring down levels of yobbish behaviour as part of Respect include a CCTV and radio system to alert officers and door staff to incidents before they escalate, taxi marshalls to ensure drinkers get home quickly and safely and volunteer pastors from the Elim Living Waters Pentecostal Church, in Whitby Street, who help vulnerable people.

Temp Chief Cons Cheer has been seconded to her role from Suffolk Constabulary, where she held the rank of deputy chief constable.

She took on the position after Cleveland’s Chief Constable Sean Price and his deputy Derek Bonnard were suspended.

The pair, along with former force solicitor Caroline Llewellyn, were arrested on suspicion of misconduct in a public office, fraud by abuse of position and corrupt practice last August.

The claims have been categorically denied and Mr Price will answer bail next month.

The probe also led to the resignation of police authority chairman, Councillor Dave McLuckie, who was also arrested and bailed. He denies any wrongdoing.