Police probe after fans injured

Have your say

POLICE have launched an investigation after two Hartlepool United fans were injured during the club’s home game at the weekend.

The men needed first aid treatment for minor injuries after the ball was kicked into the home end at Victoria Park by the away goalkeeper during the second half of the 3-0 victory over Notts County.

The ball was kicked into the College of FE stand, known as the Town End, after midfielder Antony Sweeney scored Pools’ second goal of the game.

It hit one fan in the arm before ricocheting into the side of the head of another.

Both supporters received treatment at the ground from St John Ambulance medics, but did not need to be taken to hospital.

The incident sparked outrage from the home fans and objects were thrown towards away goalkeeper Stuart Nelson.

The game was temporarily halted while he received treatment after being hit on the head by one object.

Pauline McSweenie, secretary of the Hartlepool United Supporters’ Association, who did not see the ball being kicked, said: “Fans throwing objects onto the pitch is a big no, no. That can come back and potentially damage the club.

“There is never an excuse to throw anything on the pitch.”

A complaint about the ball being kicked into the crowd was later made to the police from a member of the public.

A Cleveland Police spokesman said: “Police are investigating an incident that occurred during the game between Hartlepool United and Notts County at around 4.10pm on Saturday, February 18.

“A football landed in the crowd and as a result a 31-year-old man from Blaydon and another man received minor injuries.

“Both received first aid treatment at the ground and did not require hospital treatment.”

A spokesman for Hartlepool United said the club did not wish to comment, but confirmed they would be looking into the incident.

Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call PC Holly Angus, of Hartlepool Police, on the non-emergency 101 number.