Revised Wynyard hospital proposal to be heard next month

A model of how the proposed hospital might look

A model of how the proposed hospital might look

5
Have your say

A REVISED planning application for a multi-million pound hospital at Wynyard is to be heard by a council next month.

North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust re-submitted its original planning application to Hartlepool Borough Council prior to the first deadline elapsing.

Yesterday a board meeting of trust directors heard that the fresh plans will be considered by planners on Wednesday, December 18.

A spokeswoman for the trust said: “December 18 is the date when the revised plans for the new hospital are to be heard by Hartlepool Borough Council.”

A trust report read: “A planning application was submitted to Hartlepool Borough Council, prior to the current application lapsing.

“The new planning application replicates the original application.

“It is anticipated that the application will be considered by the council, along with a number of residential applications of up to 2,200 residential units, on December 18.

“The lead planning office for the council has advised that they will contact the National Planning Casework Unit with the current status of the applications and await further instruction.

“Members were minded to approve the application.”

The trust has now been working towards the replacement of two existing hospitals in Hartlepool and Stockton for more than a decade.

A hospital services review which would lead to plans for a state-of-the-art new hospital to replace the existing sites was first announced in August 2003.

And it was not until October 2009 that the council granted outline planning permission for the development, when it was expected the scheme could be completed by the spring of 2015.

However, a series of setbacks, including the withdrawal of Government funding, meant the planning permission granted almost four years ago expired in October.

As a result, North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Foundation Trust re-submitted its plans for the development.

Although members of the public were able to view the plans and leave comments, the resubmitted planning application was an administrative matter.

The initial plans were met with stiff opposition, with 203 letters of objection sent to the council.

The hospital chiefs are also seeking planning permission to allow up to 100 homes to be built near Hartlepool’s hospital for which plans have been lodged.

The trust won outline approval for the housing on surplus land near the University Hospital of Hartlepool in Holdforth Road three years ago.

But this permission is also due to lapse as no development has started on the land since then.

The trust says it has no plans to build on the site but the permission will make it easier to market.

The permission is for land to the east of the hospital and west of Wells Avenue.

People have until Friday, October 25, to give their views on the application.