Robber is jailed for four years

Keith Doyle of Devon Street, Hartlepool, jailed for 4 yrs for robbery at Teesside Crown Court on Jan 4.
Keith Doyle of Devon Street, Hartlepool, jailed for 4 yrs for robbery at Teesside Crown Court on Jan 4.

A THUG who lured a man to his house to talk about a tattoo before robbing him of £280 has been jailed for four years.

Keith Doyle, 42, and an unknown attacker pounced on Neville Crouch as soon as he stepped inside Doyle’s Hartlepool home.

Mr Crouch had agreed to go to the address in Devon Street, Hartlepool, to talk to Doyle about getting a tattoo.

He narrowly missed being struck with a golf club swung at him by the second attacker before Doyle demanded the victim hand over all the cash he had on him.

David Crook, prosecuting at Teesside Crown Court, said: “When the victim arrived at the defendant’s house he was invited in and as soon as the door was shut behind him an unknown male swung at him with a golf club but missed.

“From that moment the victim was in fear he would be hurt.

“The defendant demanded all his money and said ‘if you go to the police I will get people to do you in’.”

The other man started jabbing Mr Crouch to the ribs and swore at him.

Doyle then pushed him on a chair, reached into his jacket and pulled out his wallet.

He took £280 from it.

Mr Crook added: “Despite repeated requests by the victim that Doyle return the money as it was his son’s the defendant said he wasn’t bothered.”

Doyle then pushed Mr Doyle out of the front door and again warned him menacingly not to go to the police.

Mr Crouch left shaking and drove to a friend’s house where he told him what had happened.

Doyle was tracked down and arrested but in interview he denied being there.

Mr Crook said the victim had been severely affected by the robbery.

“He is very anxious around people and his confidence is at an all-time low,” said the prosecutor.

Doyle pleaded guilty to the robbery, which happened on June 1 last year, on the day he was meant to stand trial in September.

He unsuccessfully tried to overturn his plea at a hearing last Friday when he claimed he had been pressured into pleading guilty by his legal team.

In mitigation, he apologised to the victim and finally accepted his responsibility.

Doyle, of Devon Street, has 32 convictions on his record for 70 offences dating back to 1984 and include a two year jail term for grievous bodily harm in 2003.