Safety warning after fish tank fire

FIREFIGHTERS praised quick thinking residents after their fish tank set alight – but expressed the importance of having a working smoke alarm.

The occupants at a house in Wynyard Road, in Wolviston, noticed that their tank had set alight and rushed to isolate the electricity to the tank.

They then left the house and rang the fire brigade.

One appliance from Billingham Fire Station and another from Stockton Fire Station rushed to the scene just after 7pm yesterday.

The fire was contained to the living room and fire chiefs say no serious damage was caused to the property.

No-one was injured and the fish were taken to a neighbour’s house.

But firefighters say the situation could have been worse as the occupants of the house did not have a smoke alarm.

David Kelly, incident commander at Billingham Fire Station, said: “The occupants of the house quickly isolated the electric and called the fire brigade immediately.

“They did everything right in the circumstances without putting themselves in danger.

“But there was no smoke alarm in the house.

“If the occupants were asleep and the fire had time to develop we could have been talking about a very different story right now.”

People can contact Cleveland Fire Brigade to arrange a free Home Fire Safety Visit on (01429) 874063.