Saved by fire alarm

FIREFIGHTERS have re-inforced the importance of smoke alarms after they were called to a fire in a family home.

Crews from Stranton Fire Station were called to a fire in a house in Miers Avenue .

Firefighters say a bedroom was badly damaged in the blaze, at around 2.25pm on Sunday, but no-one was injured.

Watch manager Ian Brown said: “Three adults and three children had escaped the house without any injuries.

“They had been alerted of the fire by their smoke alarm, which shows just how important it is to have a fully-operating smoke alarm in your house.

“Without it this could have been a lot worse.”