Smoke alarm plea by brigade

0
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS are appealing to residents to get smoke alarms fitted after a couple had a lucky escape.

A man and women got out of their bungalow after food in their microwave overheated and caught fire.

They were taken to hospital to be checked over after breathing in smoke, but were otherwise unhurt.

But brigade chiefs say the outcome could have been more serious and are appealing to residents to make sure they have working smoke alarms which can be fitted for free.

Davey Veitch, watch manager at Stockton Fire Station, said: “Had this fire been of a greater severity we could possibly have been looking at a more serious situation.

“It is really important that people have smoke alarms. They can get in touch with their local fire station and we will come out and carry out a free fire safety check.”

The incident happened at a bungalow in Falston Close, in the High Grange area of Billingham, at around 11.30pm on Thursday.