Top hotel evacuated after fire

DOZENS of hotel guests were forced into the street in their nightwear after a fire started in the kitchen.

An electrical fault is believed to have sparked the small fire inside a microwave at the Best Western Grand Hotel, in Swainson Street, Hartlepool.

Around 30 staff and guests were evacuated from the building for around 30 minutes while firefighters from Stranton Fire Station dealt with the fire.

The incident happened at 12.30am today.

The microwave was badly damaged, but the fire did not spread.

Everybody was allowed back into the building shortly before 1am.

A spokesman for Stranton Fire Station said: “It was an electrical fault in a microwave inside the kitchen area.

“The fire alarm was activated and around 30 people were evacuated from the building.”

Craig Morris, general manager at the hotel, said: “Guests were evacuated until it was safe for them to go back in.

“The night porter called the fire brigade.”