Trial into alleged OAP attack collapses

0
Have your say

A TRIAL into an alleged attack on a vulnerable pensioner in his own home collapsed yesterday.

Hartlepool man John Robinson, 24, stood trial at Teesside Crown Court accused of attacking the 76-year-old man after allegedly trying to sell him a car radio which the pensioner refused.

But after just one day in court, prosecutors offered no further evidence against Mr Robinson and dropped the case.

Jolyon Perks, prosecuting, said: “The Crown Prosecution Service has reviewed the case and the crown now take the view there is no realistic prospect of a conviction and the case is not going to be improved by the calling of further evidence.”

The alleged victim phoned police late on November 7 last year to report that he had been stabbed in the hand by a man who then stole his jacket.

Mr Robinson was arrested after his fingerprint was found on a black bag containing a car radio allegedly left at the scene by the robber.

But Mr Robinson said he was in bed at the time after taking a number of tablets and gave an explanation for how his fingerprint came to be on the bag.

He said he had handled the bag several days before the alleged attack took place.

The hearing was a retrial after a different jury failed to reach a verdict last month.

Mr Robinson, of Windermere Road, Hartlepool, was formally found not guilty of assault with intent to rob and theft and was released from custody.