A DRIVER got a shock after returning from his workplace to find his van in flames.
A crew from Peterlee Fire Station was called to Whitehouse Way, in Shotton Colliery, where a Ford Transit van was ablaze.
A station spokesman said the driver had popped into his workplace and returned to his van to find the engine on fire.
The spokesman added that the fire had confined itself to the engine compartment and the passenger side of the vehicle.
The incident took place around 4.20pm on Wednesday and firefighters spent 20 minutes at the scene.