VIDEO: Store destroyed by blaze

A HUGE fire saw a family business go up in flames as the shocked owner watched his life's work go with it.

More than 50 firefighters were called to Shields Interiors, in Whitby Street South, Hartlepool, after the blaze started at the rear of the second-floor of the building.

Business owner Gary Shields even tried to tackle the fire himself and was left with singed eyebrows after he ran towards the fire with an extinguisher.

Firefighters from as far as Redcar were called to the blaze, which created a huge plume of smoke that could be seen across Hartlepool.

Have you taken any photos of the blaze? Email them please to mail.news@northeast-press.co.uk

>> Read the full story and see more pictures in Friday's Mail