VIDEO: Warning over Halloween novelty tie that explodes into flames

1
Have your say

TRADING standards officers have issued a warning about a Halloween novelty tie which they believe could pose a danger to children.

It follows a test purchase of the tie from the town’s Poundworld store in Middleton Grange Shopping Centre.

FIRE HAZARD: Trading standards chief Ian Harrison with the ties

FIRE HAZARD: Trading standards chief Ian Harrison with the ties

Hartlepool Borough Council’s trading standards team regularly purchase items to test for compliance with safety standards to help safeguard the public.

Officers found that when the tie came into contact with a naked flame it burned very quickly and could be a particular risk to children.

The tie is correctly labelled with “Keep away from fire” and “Adult use only” warnings, but trading standards officers fear that with Halloween approaching, it may be bought for, or given to, a child.

Rachael Byron, of the council, said: “Not only did the tie completely burn, but once alight it could not easily be removed without causing the wearer additional burn injuries.

“Flaming debris also fell from it, which may potentially ignite other items.”

The ties have been removed from sale in Hartlepool.

Log onto this story at www.hartlepoolmail.co.uk to see a video of the tie burning.

For further information, contact the Trading Standards team on (01429) 523362.