Wedding snapper in court

0
Have your say

A PHOTOGRAPHER who left a trail of couples devastated by his dodgy coverage of their wedding has appeared in court in connection with a public order offence.

Clayton Bennett is alleged to have threatened his pregnant wife’s ex-partner, Mark Fry, in Peterlee town centre.

The 50-year-old, who sparked outcry from newlyweds because of his inept photo and film coverage of their big day, has denied the public order charge.

The incident is alleged to have happened on December 5, when Bennett and wife Rose-Ellen were out shopping.

As Bennett is representing himself, prosecutor Heather Wilkinson made an application to the court to ask a representative or a solicitor be appointed to cross-examine two of three witnesses due to give evidence due to the nature of the charge.

Bennett argued against the application, stating as the accused, he should have the right to question their accounts.

However, after retiring to discuss the matter for a short time, the bench returned and agreed to the application.

Bennett, of Cedar Terrace, Fence Houses, said he would appoint a solicitor and was told to inform the court of their details by tomorrow afternoon.

The trial is due to take place on Tuesday, April 19.

Bennett was released on conditional bail until his next hearing.

He has previously been ordered to pay £600 to disgruntled customers after they took him to a county court over their wedding video and photograph packages.

Others who commissioned his work are also understood to have complained.