THE wife of a pervert jailed for child porn offences has ended her 26-year marriage for the sake of her grandchildren.
Fiona Swift has turned her back on husband Bernard , 53, and revealed to the Mail: “I will never take him back.”
Swift, 53, was caged for four months after pleading guilty to having sickening images on his computer.
It was the shocking culmination of years of heartbreak for Fiona , 47, who lost a baby son at just six months old and a daughter who tragically took her own life at the age of 15.
Determined Mrs Swift has vowed that her husband’s perverted actions will not threaten her treasured relationships with her grandchildren.
And she will visit her husband in prison this weekend to tell him their marriage is over.
Residents in Lancaster Road, Hartlepool, launched a protest outside the home of Swift last Monday to demand he does not return to the street when he completes his sentence.
The protest, which was closely monitored by police, passed without incident but over the next 24 hours windows were smashed and Swift’s family ended up moving out of the address.
Swift’s wife Fiona, 47, told the Mail today that she could not take any more “hassle” and revealed she plans to tell the 53-year-old that their 26-year marriage is over when she visits him in Holme House prison, in Stockton, at the weekend.
Mrs Swift opted to tell the Mail about the marriage breakdown BEFORE her husband in an attempt to draw a line under “months of hell”.
Mrs Swift had initially planned to stand by her husband, but after opening her heart to the Mail she said she was sacrificing her marriage for the sake of her 10 grandchildren.
She said: “This whole situation has been a nightmare, and things have started to get worse over the last week since the people of Lancaster Road made their feelings clear.
“The thing is, not one of them knocked on my door and asked me if he was coming back to the house. If they had, I would have told them that was never his intention.
“I go and visit him every week, but I cannot walk the streets without people threatening me, or bad-mouthing me.
“I have had my windows smashed, I’ve had my car scratched with a key. Now I am homeless, I’ve been chased out of my house. I’ve lived there for 14 years, but people were out in the street cheering when the removal van pulled up last week.
“I have been through hell with all of this, from the moment the police investigation started right up to today.
“He is due out shortly but I will tell him at the weekend that our marriage is over. I’ve had enough of the hassle.
“He has put me through hell, and I won’t be welcoming him back.
“I told him last week about what went on in the street. This weekend, I will be telling him it’s over.
“Maybe the residents who have hounded me will read this in the Mail and have a little bit more understanding.”
Former storeman Swift was jailed at Teesside Crown Court in June after pleading guilty to three charges of making indecent images, with a further three sick photographs found during a raid on his home.
The couple moved to Hartlepool 21 years ago from Scotland for a fresh start after the tragic death of their six-month old son Douglas, who suffered from hydrocephalus.
But in 1997, a campaign was launched to save the life of his daughter Christine, who was five at the time, when she was diagnosed with leukaemia.
An appeal was started to find a bone marrow donor for her, and eventually her older sister Elaine was found to be a match and a successful transplant saved her life.
However, four years later, tragedy struck the Swift family again when Elaine, then aged 15, took her own life with an overdose of painkillers.
Mrs Swift, who was a full-time carer for her husband – who suffers from the spine disorder spondylosis – before he was locked up at Teesside Crown Court, added: “As a family, we have been through hell.
“But this is worse than any of what has gone on in the past.
“As his release date gets nearer, it is just getting harder for me.
“He says he is full of remorse for what he has put us through. He was supposed to be on trial, but he pleaded guilty so we as a family did not have to go through the trauma of a trial.
“When he is out of jail, he won’t be allowed any unsupervised contact with children as he will be on the Sex Offenders’ Register.
“How can I be babysitting my grandkids? If I leave the room, they’ll have to come with me.
“What if someone throws a brick through the window while the kids are sat playing on the floor?
“People would be talking all the time, wondering what was going on. I want another fresh start, I can’t deal with this any more.
“My family have kept me going through all of this, and especially the grandkids. I don’t want them growing up in an environment where this is always being mentioned in the background and people are pointing at us in the street.
“I don’t know how he will react when I tell him, I’ve got no idea, but I have 10 grandchildren and I am sacrificing my marriage for them.”