Woman escapes blaze

0
Have your say

A WOMAN escaped a blaze unhurt after her kitchen went up in flames.

The woman was awoken by thick smoke in her house in Annandale Crescent, Hartlepool, at around 3.30am today.

She had fallen asleep and the grill and frying pan in her kitchen had caught alight.

Two fire appliances from Stranton Fire Station were called to the scene.

The house didn’t have any smoke detectors fitted and the woman was only woken up by the smoke.

Fire officers managed to put the fire out and the woman escaped without injury.

Gerard Suggitt, watch manager at Stranton, said: “If the lady had a smoke detector she would have been alerted a lot earlier than she was.”

Kitchen units were severely damaged in the blaze and the kitchen also had 20 per cent heat and fire damage.

For a free home fire safety visit, call Cleveland Fire Brigade on (01429) 874063.