Billy Snaith joins the Gus Robinson Developments boxing ranks

Billy Snaith, centre, with coaches Alan Temple and Peter Cope Senior at the Gus Robinson Boxing Gym Picture by David Wood.
Billy Snaith, centre, with coaches Alan Temple and Peter Cope Senior at the Gus Robinson Boxing Gym Picture by David Wood.

Gus Robinson Developments have added a new signing to their boxing team.

And Billy Snaith will be part of a triple assault from the gym at the major show in Houghton on November 20.

Snaith, who has signed for the West View Road camp following a limited amateur career, will be joined by the leading Gus Robinson stars, Peter Cope and Anth Hardy, at the Rainton Meadows Arena a week on Friday.

The trio will all have four-round contests on the undercard of Martin Ward’s challenge for the British super-bantamweight title against champ Jazza Dickens.

Snaith’s professional bow follows on from a winning debut from another new arrival, Richard O’Neill, who beat Scott Hillman in Dunston last month.

Gus Robinson Developments head coach Peter Cope Snr says he is thrilled by the prospect of the 27-year-old stepping into the square ring.

“Billy’s a proper tough give-it-a-go kid,” said Cope.

“He’s 27 so he’s not a youngster, but he’s had very limited amateur experience.

“Billy boxed a bit for South Durham, but not had many bouts.

“He’s a likeable lad and a helluva trainer and he’s really taken to the pro game.

“He’s sparred with Peter and Daniel (Cope) and done all right.

“Billy proper goes for it, has sold a lot of tickers so we’re looking forward to seeing him at the Rainton Meadows Arena.”

The Ferryhill welterweight will have Peter Cope and Hardy for company at the Houghton venue.

Both boxers will be going into the show on the back of championship defeats.

Cope Jnr lost his Northern Area lightweight crown in a shock points loss to Middlesbrough’s John Green at the Summer Rumble in July.

Hardy, meanwhile, emerged with great credit from an unsuccessful challenge for the English light-welter title against Joe Hughes in Bath.

“I wanted both lads back in before Christmas and this show is ideal,” said Peter Cope Snr.

“Both are coming into it of defeats, Anth was a good one but Peter a bad one.

“We just need to get Anth and Peter back on track with wins here and then look to take the next step, probably in the new year.

“Anth was out with an injury after his last bout, but he’s fit and ready to go again now.

“I was over the moon with how he boxed at Bath, where he lost on a split decision.

“Peter had a real bad day at the office, but he’s looked great in training and this is a chance to get back on the winning trail.”

There are no opponents yet for the trio though promoter Phil Jeffries is expected to announce matches at a press conference on Wednesday.

Meanwhile, it’s a big weekend for the Gus Robinson Developments amateur team and the Cope family.

Luke Cope, the youngest of the four fighting brothers, takes his next step in the National Clubs for Young People’s Championship in Sheffield tomorrow.

The 18-year-old lifted the Tyne, Tees and Wear crown last weekend when he defeated friend, and neighbour, Jay Hughes (East Durham) in the U60 kilo class A section in Darlington.

Tomorrow, he meets Yorkshire champion, Isah Hussain, from Sheffield, in the North-East regional final in Heeley.