Hartlepool boxer Simon Vallily faces second London dinner date

BOXING PROSPECT: Simon Vallily

BOXING PROSPECT: Simon Vallily

0
Have your say

NEW Hartlepool boxing star Simon Vallily has been handed a quick return to the boxing ring.

The former Commonwealth Games champion, who moved to the Gus Robinson Developments gym this summer after starting his professional career in London, has won two bouts out of two.

Managed by top British promoter Frank Warren, Vallily now trains under the guidance of Peter Cope at the West View HQ.

The pair have already enjoyed their first victory – the Teessider beating Ireland-based Ugandan Moses Matovu at the Hilton Hotel in London last month.

And Warren has given his cruiserweight prospect another capital date on Monday, against experienced Lithuanian campaigner Rolandas Cesna.

Cope said he was delighted with another job so soon after the points shut-out at the big DebRA charity show at the plush Park Lane venue.

“I was very impressed with Simon in our first contest,” said the trainer.

“This looks a similar sort of fight to the last one.

“Cesna has not won many but he is rarely stopped.

“He seems to take everyone the distance and while a stoppage win would be nice for Simon’s record and confidence, getting in the rounds is more important.

“Simon has had a brilliant amateur career and has got all the right attributes.

“But what he hasn’t got is professional experience.

“Rounds are what he needs.

“Yes, it would be great if a stoppage comes his way but, if not, four rounds will be just the job.”

Cesna, 33, is by no means a pushover.

Rated at number two in his country, his record outside Lithuania is not great but he has a draw and win in his last two domestic outings.

Cope is pleased with the opponent in front of the South Bank man and pleased the 28-year-old is making progress.

“It would be nice if he got to box every two months or so,” said the coach.

“Things seems to be starting to move for him. But first things first, he must perform well against Cesna.”