Sedgefield fighter Bradley Saunders to fight tough Pole Krzysztof Szot at Gateshead

FIRST NORTH-EAST DATE: Bradley Saunders
FIRST NORTH-EAST DATE: Bradley Saunders

BRADLEY Saunders will face a rugged Pole when he fights for the first time as a professional in this region later this month.

The 27-year-old former Hartlepool star has been matched with Krzysztof Szot at Gateshead Leisure Centre on Friday, November 22.

Saunders, now based in Marbella, is excited not only by the prospect of boxing in the North-East but getting a clash with Szot.

“I’ve got a tough fight, but I’ll be ready,” said the Sedgefield star, whose previous pro appearances have been in London (five times), Glasgow and Manchester.

“To finally get my debut in the North-East is just incredible.

“The support I always receive in my fights is incredible but to finally get to fight closer to home will be amazing for me.”

Szot began his career like the proverbial house on fire.

Unbeaten in his first 16 appearances, Szot won the Polish title in 2011 and lost in a challenge for the vacant EU championship in February to Brunet Zamora in Italy where he was pipped in a very close points decision.

Since then he has gone the distance with two undefeated British pros, Chad Gaynor, in Sheffield, and Tyrone Nurse in Manchester.

“He fought Tyrone Nurse at four days notice or something and Chad Gaynor with a week’s notice,” Saunders said.

“He’s fighting me with four weeks notice so the North-East is in for a good fight.”

Saunders has made a perfect start to his pro career with seven straight wins, five of his successes coming inside the distance.

Last time out, he stopped Gareth Heard in just four rounds after putting his opponent down twice with body shots.

It was his first bout since leaving coach Peter Cope and the Gus Robinson Developments gym.

Saunders, now working in the warmer climes of Marbella in Spain, added: “Training is going great out here but I can’t wait to box in front of the North East fans on the 22nd.”