New Hartlepool signing delighted to join fight

Nathan Thomas
Nathan Thomas
0
Have your say

Nathan Thomas had no hesitation in agreeing a move to Hartlepool United - despite leaving a club chasing promotion.

The 21-year-old signed an 18-month contract at Victoria Park yesterday after Mansfield Town accepted an undisclosed fee from Pools.

I am joining a good club with some really good players.

Thomas told SportMail that there was interest from “a couple of teams” but said Pools was the only destination he wanted.

“To get the chance of playing regular football was my big motivation,” said the exciting Middlesbrough-born winger.

“While I’d played 21 times at Mansfield, I was in and out of the team a bit.

“I’m really looking forward to the chance to work my way into the side here.

“I am joining a good club with some really good players.

“I’d like to thank Mansfield and the manager for giving me the opportunity in the summer to develop as a player.

“But I’m looking forward to trying to get in the team here and playing regular football.

“I think we’re in a bit of a false position. We have games in hand and some wins will have us towards mid-table and then who knows where we can go?”

Thomas had handed in a transfer request last week at Field Mill and said the chance to move home was the clincher after spells away from his native Teesside at Plymouth, Motherwell and Mansfield.

“There were a couple of teams who were interested in me,” he explained.

“But I sat down with the gaffer at Mansfield and he said if there was an opportunity of me coming home he would not stand in my way.”

Thomas became a wanted man when he rang rings around Pools back in November when the clubs met at Field Mill, former Sunderland youth team colleague and pal Scott Harrison bearing the brunt of his wing wizardry.

Moore became an instant fan of the left-footer who will come straight into the squad for Saturday’s vital League Two clash with Wycombe Wanderers.

“Scott understands,” he laughed. “It was nothing personal, we’re friends.

“When I played against Hartlepool I played really well and I think Ronnie Moore thought I would be a good addition to the squad.

“I will be looking to prove myself and try to get into the team. I can’t wait to get started.”

With the Pools squad enjoying today off, Thomas will make acquaintances with them tomorrow at Maiden Castle.

The Boro lad, who has been given the number seven squad number, will probably have to be content with a place on the bench this Saturday.