MIDDLESBROUGH were today looking to strengthen their depleted forward line – with a very recent foe understood to be a top target.
Boss Tony Mowbray said in SportMail on Monday that Boro were looking to add one or two strikers and that everyone at the Riverside was “working very hard behind the scenes to make that happen.”
It appears that the man who denied Boro maximum points on Saturday is near the front of the hit list
A Lukas Jutkiewicz goal 14 minutes from time rescued a 1-1 draw for Coventry against Boro on Saturday.
But it seems the 22-year-old striker, who had been linked with Bristol City, Millwall and home-town club Southampton over the summer, is not for sale.
Sky Blues boss Andy Thorn said: “He is not someone I am looking to sell, that’s for sure.
“He’s got a few more years left on his contract and he’s a big, young talent who I am pleased we have got.”
It would appear Jutkiewic would cost somewhere in the region of £2million plus and that is money Boro, who have made significant financial cuts during the close season, will be reluctant to spend.
Boro could raise some funds today - if Swansea follow up their reported interest in centre-half Matthew Bates.
The Boro skipper has been watched by Swansea, who lost Easington-born central defender Alan Tate in a freak golf accident at the weekend.