6-0 Liverpool drubbing has no fear for Newcastle Utd’s Davide Santon

Davide Santon
Davide Santon
0
Have your say

DAVIDE Santon says Newcastle United will take on Liverpool with no fear – despite last season’s 6-0 drubbing.

Alan Pardew’s side entertain the joint-Premier League leaders at St James’s Park on Saturday.

Santon was in the team beaten heavily at home by Liverpool late last season.

And the memory of that defeat, which came as the club lurched towards the relegation zone, still haunts the 22-year-old, who helped Newcastle to a 2-1 win over Cardiff City before the international break.

“Last season I remember we lost 6-0,” Santon said. “It stays inside of you for a long time.

“It was a difficult period for us. We were in a difficult position in the league, and we needed win.

“But we lost 6-0 at home. It was really difficult, especially for our mentality.

“It’s finished now. We have to think about this season.

“We can compete with every team. We’re not scared about anything.

“If we can compete like we did (against Cardiff), we have a chance. We have to make sure we give 100 per cent.

“Every game is a tough game. Liverpool have been good. But we’ll see what happens. In the Premier League, you never know.”

Brendan Rodgers’s side, unbeaten away from home so far this season, are level on points with league leaders Arsenal.

And Liverpool are odds-on favourites to win on Tyneside.

The fixture is followed by the Wear-Tyne derby on October 27 and a visit to Tottenham Hotspur on November 2, while United also have a Capital One Cup tie against Manchester City to contend with later this month.

The new few weeks will be challenging for Alan Pardew and his team, but Santon and his team-mates are focused - and confident.

“We have to think about the next three games – Liverpool at home, Sunderland away and afterwards Tottenham, “ he said.

“It’s a tough month. Hopefully, we can do the best we can, then we’ll see.”