Carver happy NOT to talk to Newcastle owner Ashley

Mike Ashley
Mike Ashley

JOHN Carver says he has NOT spoke to Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley – and is happy to stay incommunicado.

Carver was this week put in charge of team affairs until the end of the season by Lee Charnley, the club’s managing director.

But the 50-year-old has had no conversations with Ashley, who is becoming more involved in Rangers.

Carver, however, is happy to deal with Charnley, with whom he feels there is “good dialogue” over football issues. “I’ve definitely not had a conversation with Mike – that is 100 per cent,” said Carver.

“There is no need for me to have a conversation with Mike, because Mike entrusted in Lee to make the conversation.

“What I have had is more conversations with Lee Charnley than I have with any of my family.

“He is on the phone every minute of the day talking about other types of issues. There is a good dialogue – good communication – and I’m happy with that.”

Charnley and chief scout Graham Carr had been exploring the club’s options with a view appointing permanent successor to Alan Pardew, who left for Crystal Palace late last month after four years at St James’s Park.

But the decision was “deferred” to the summer because of the non-availability of a number of potential candidates, and Carver learnt he had the job eight days ago.

He said: “Lee just said ‘can you come to the ground?’. So I went to the ground, had a cup of tea, had a chat, and then he just hit me with it.

“We discussed one or two issues, went away, kept it to myself, never told anybody other than my family.

“Then I came back on the Sunday, ready for Monday, waiting to get the bits and pieces adjusted to my contract on the Monday morning.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle’s Under-21 Premier League game against West Bromwich Albion on Monday afternoon will now be played behind closed doors at the club’s training ground.

Siem de Jong will step up his comeback from long-term injury in the fixture.