Loic Remy weighs up option of Newcastle Utd

OFFERS ... Remy.
OFFERS ... Remy.

LOIC Remy’s weighing up his options ahead of the new campaign.

Remy told interested clubs, including Newcastle United, that he would make a decision on his future after the World Cup.

The forward, set to leave Queens Park Rangers this summer, scored 14 goals during a successful loan at St James’s Park last season.

Remy and his France team-mates returned to Paris last Sunday after their quarter-final defeat to Germany.

The 27-year-old’s representative has been involved in lengthy discussions with Arsenal, his most likely destination.

This week it was reported that United were set to mount a fresh bid to sign the France international.

But the club never broke off from talks with Remy and his agent.

SportMail understands the two parties have kept in contact over the summer, and the club’s offer to Remy remains on the table. However, Remy has publicly stated his keenness to play in the Champions League, and he can expect a higher wage at a club playing in the competition.

And the chances of Remy returning to St James’s Park still look remote.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew’s No1 summer transfer priority is a striker, and the club is exploring other options.

However, Pardew has refused to be drawn on the club’s targets.

“We’ve got three (signings) in already, and I think we’ll get more in,” Pardew said.

“We’re looking at strikers, as that’s where we’re short.”

French newspaper L’Equipe yesterday claimed Monaco forward Emmanuel Riviere, 24, is among the club’s targets.

With long-serving Shola Ameobi having left the club, and Papiss Demba Cisse sidelined with a knee injury, Pardew’s striking options are limited, though new signing Siem de Jong can play up front.

United also recruited 20-year-old Tenerfie forward Ayoze Perez last month.

Meanwhile, former Newcastle loanee Luuk de Jong, brother of Siem, is close to joining Dutch club PSV Eindhoven.

The 23-year-old spent the second half of last season on loan at St James’s Park.

De Jong failed to find the net in his spell on Tyneside, and the club option not to take up an option to sign him permanently from Borussia Monchengladbach.

PSV have reportedly had a £4.3m bid for the Holland international accepted.