Luuk de Jong not giving up on permanent move to Newcastle Utd

Newcastle United's Luuk de Jong
Newcastle United's Luuk de Jong
0
Have your say

LUUK de Jong hasn’t given up hope of earning a permanent move to Newcastle United.

The striker has made 10 appearances for the club since joining on loan from Borussia Monchengladbach in January.

But de Jong is yet to make a significant impression up front for the club, which has hasn’t packed a punch up front in the absence through injury of leading scorer Loic Remy.

The 23-year-old - who has been partnering Papiss Demba Cisse up front - is yet to open his United account.

And he knows he has a lot to prove in the last five games of the Premier League season.

For his part, the Holland international - who is hoping to start against Stoke City at the Britannia Stadium on Saturday - is enjoying the challenge of adapting to English football, which he believes suits his game.

“I just want to improve my game every game,” de Jong said.

“That’s why I love being here. I hope to be important for the team, and after this season, I hope to stay.”

“I like it (English football). It’s more physical than Germany and Holland.

“It’s how I like to play. There are a lot of aerial duels.”

De Jong’s arrival swelled the Dutch contingent at St James’s Park to three, with the former FC Twente man having joined countrymen Tim Krul and Vurnon Anita on Tyneside.

However, de Jong says the club’s multi-lingual dressing room isn’t divided along national lines.

“For me, of course it’s nice to have Dutch players in the team to communicate with,” he said.

“But I don’t see the team as groups. We are all together. That’s how I see it.

“We have to just keep going, and try to win the next game.”

De Jong was farmed out by Monchengladbach after a frustrating 18-month spell at the club following a big-money move from Twente, where he had been prolific.