Newcastle United have pulled out of race for Bafetimbi Gomis, says Lyon owner

TARGET ... Bafetimbi Gomis
TARGET ... Bafetimbi Gomis
1
Have your say

QYMPIQUE Lyonnais owner Jean-Michel Aulas has suggested that Newcastle United have pulled out of the race to sign Bafetimbi Gomis.

Newcastle agreed a £7m fee for the striker earlier this month.

But the proposed deal appears to have fallen through because of issues over fees and commissions due to agents.

And Aulas has claimed that there are no longer any bids on the table for the 28-year-old, who is keen to sign for United.

He told Lyon’s website: “We have to be humble. I’m ready to make myself available to discuss the situation with Bafetimbi.

“I think we both need to swallow our pride, myself being the first.

“But there are no offers currently on the table.

“Bafetimbi needs to play football. I believe it would be a mistake to stay entrenched in our current positions.

We have to work with his agent to find an amicable resolution that will see him happy to stay at Lyon.”

Gomis could now sign a new deal at the Stade de Gerland.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew wouldn’t be drawn on the club’s pursuit of Gomis after Saturday’s 1-1 draw against Braga.

He said: “I don’t like to mention any player, but we’re in the process of finding an offensive player – or two.”