Newcastle Utd’s Davide Santon unlikely to play again this season

BLOW ... Newcastle's Davide Santon.
BLOW ... Newcastle's Davide Santon.
0
Have your say

NEWCASTLE United defender Davide Santon is unlikely to play again this season.

The Newcastle United defender is facing three weeks on the sidelines after suffering a recurrence of a hamstring injury in a training session.

Santon aggravated the problem in the build-up to last weekend’s game at Stoke City, which United lost 1-0.

And the 23-year-old isn’t expected to feature before the end of the campaign, his third at the club he joined from Inter Milan in the summer of 2011.

“I was feeling better and getting quicker,” said Santon, Newcastle’s first-choice left-back.

“But the Thursday before the Stoke game, in training, I jumped and felt my hamstring again.

“It is really frustrating, but that is football.

“I have to accept it, work hard and be back as soon as possible.”

The Italy international – who has been linked with a summer move away from St James’s Park – had previously been sidelined with a knee problem. And Santon’s absence will leave 22-year-old Paul Dummett and Massadio Haidara, 21, to contest the left-back slot in the club’s remaining four games.

Newcastle’s injury problems, however, are still easing, with forward Loic Remy and defender Mathieu Debuchy having returned to training.

The pair are expected to be involved against relegation-threatened Swansea City – who will be without the suspended Chico Flores – at St James’s Park this afternoon.

And midfielder Moussa Sissoko – who suffered a hamstring injury in United’s defeat to Southampton at St Mary’s Stadium late last month – could be fit for the club’s visit to Arsenal on April 28.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said: “Moussa doesn’t look too far away.

“I think he’s got a chance for Arsenal.”

Sissoko, like Remy and Debuchy, needs to prove his fitness in time to make the France squad for the summer’s World Cup finals in Brazil.