Newcastle Utd target Luuk de Jong

Alan Pardew and new Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the sidelines
Alan Pardew and new Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer on the sidelines

ALAN Pardew says Newcastle United are ready to make an early move in the transfer market – as Luuk de Jong re-emerged as a target.

The club’s chief scout, Graham Carr, watched Saturday’s 2-1 FA Cup defeat to Cardiff City.

With the transfer window now open, discussions are ongoing between United manager Pardew, Carr and director of football Joe Kinnear, who have drawn up a list of targets.

And the name of Borussia Monchengladbach’s de Jong – a target of the club 18 months ago when he was at FC Twente – won’t go away.

Pardew last week reitered his keenness to bring a forward to St James’s Park, and he insists Newcastle are ready to move quickly – if the right player becomes available.

“We’re making sure we’re on our toes in terms of the market,” Pardew said.

“That’s what we’re going to try to do.”

Monchengladbach director Hans Meyer suggested in November that de Jong would be made available for loan after falling out of favour at the Bundesliga club.

“We will possibly loan Luuk at Christmas, but definitely not to a competitor,” said Meyer.

“Our head coach, Lucien Favre, has said from the start he didn’t have 100 per cent confidence in De Jong filling the striker position, but I think we’ll find a solution.”

United tried and failed to sign the Holland international in the summer of 2012. The 23-year-old ended up moving to Monchengladbach in a £12.6m deal.

Newcastle could yet revive their interest in Olympique Lyonnais striker Bafetimbi Gomis, whose proposed move to the club broke down last summer because of fees payable to agents.

The 28-year-old, an international team-mate of United’s French contingent, is a free agent in the summer.