No Yohan Cabaye at Morecambe but he could face Fulham

REFUSING TO PLAY: Yohan Cabaye
REFUSING TO PLAY: Yohan Cabaye

ALAN Pardew hasn’t given up hope of having Yohan Cabaye in his Newcastle United starting XI against Fulham.

The unsettled midfielder refused to play in the club’s opening two Premier League games.

And Cabaye - who is wanted by Arsenal - won’t be involved in tonight’s Capital One Cup tie against Morecambe either.

United are yet to receive an improved bid for Cabaye - who is also interesting Paris Saint-Germain - from the north London club, who had a £10million offer turned down last week.

Pardew was guarded when asked about the Cabaye situation in yesterday’s pre-match press conference ahead of the second-round tie at the Globe Arena.

But he feels there is a chance the 27-year-old could be involved in Saturday’s home game against Fulham - if there is no further bid from Arsenal.

“He won’t be involved at Morecambe, but we’ll see what happens on Saturday,” said Pardew.

Pardew refused to reveal whether Cabaye faces club discipline for making himself unavailable against West Ham United and Manchester City.

And he is mindful of the fact Cabaye could yet stay at St James’s Park if Newcastle’s £20m-plus valuation isn’t met by the September 2 transfer deadline.

“The answer is here he is either going to be sold and we are going to have to replace him in the window that we have left, or he’s going to stay,” said Pardew.

“In both situations, I as the manager have to protect him and protect this lub more importantly, so the first thing on my agenda is the club, trust me, and that will always come first while I am the manager here.

“It’s an ongoing situation and like a lot of players in this transfer window, there are problems while it is open.

“I understand players’ positions at times, and then there are other times I don’t understand it.

“But the bottom line is with a world-class player, if they move on, it has to be world-class money.”