NUFC bid to sign Andy Carroll was doomed to fail says West Ham chief

England's Andy Carroll celebrates after he scored  during the Euro 2012 soccer championship Group D match between Sweden and England in Kiev, Ukraine, Friday, June 15, 2012. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)
England's Andy Carroll celebrates after he scored during the Euro 2012 soccer championship Group D match between Sweden and England in Kiev, Ukraine, Friday, June 15, 2012. (AP Photo/Sergei Grits)
0
Have your say

DAVID Sullivan has claimed Newcastle United’s bid to sign Liverpool’s Andy Carroll on loan was doomed to failure.

West Ham United’s co-owner has talked about his club’s failed bid to sign the striker.

Newcastle were willing to take Carroll on a season-long loan last month with a view to a £13.5 move back to St James’s Park.

Gosling desperate to earn is Mags spurs

Taylor ready to take on Spurs

Campbell hoping for Toon chance

However, the two clubs couldn’t agree a deal, and Carroll remains at Anfield.

West Ham, managed by Sam Allardyce, agreed a £2m loan fee, with a view to a £17m permanent switch, with Liverpool for the 23-year-old, in the England squad for tonight’s friendly against Italy.

But Carroll – whose sizeable wages would break Newcastle’s tight wage structure – opted to stay on Merseyside.

“We had a deal in place with Liverpool to borrow the player, which automatically became a purchase if we stayed up,” said Sullivan.

“We hoped, as he had the same agent (Mark Curtis) as our manager and he was very friendly with Kevin Nolan, our captain, that Andy would want to come.

“But he really wanted to stay at Liverpool. He believes he will get back into the side by his performances.

“We were paying all of his wages and a huge loan fee. Newcastle didn’t even want to pay all his wages. This is what we were led to believe.

“So Liverpool were not prepared to let him go to Newcastle. But it may all change. Who knows?”

Meanwhile, Newcastle are continuing their efforts to sign Ajax’s Vurnon Anita.

The 23-year-old – who can play as a defensive midfielder, or at left-back – is set for talks after the two clubs agreed a £6.6m fee.