Obertan heading towards Newcastle Utd exit

Owls trialist Dejan Kelhar beats Newcastle's Emmanuel Riviere

Owls trialist Dejan Kelhar beats Newcastle's Emmanuel Riviere

0
Have your say

GABRIEL Obertan has been told his future lies away from Newcastle United.

The winger made his first appearance of pre-season in last night’s 1-0 win at Sheffield Wednesday.

And Obertan set up the winning goal, scored in the second half by summer signing Ayoze Perez.

However, Obertan’s days on Tyneside look numbered, three years after joining from Manchester United.

The 25-year-old – who did not travel to New Zealand for the Magpies’ two-game tour last week – is available for transfer.

Newcastle manager Alan Pardew said: “I think he needs opportunities to start.

“I think that’s where his career is that. If we can’t offer him that, then I think he needs another club.”

Pardew felt Obertan was one of Newcastle’s best performers at Hillsborough, where nine of the starting XI had to shrug off jet leg from the club’s flight back from New Zealand, which landed on Tyneside late on Monday afternoon.

“He showed a lot,” said Pardew. “When we went 10 games unbeaten (in 2011-12), he was a big part of that. He showed that sort of form.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle are also looking to move on forward Hatem Ben Arfa.

However, unlike Obertan, Ben Arfa has not been training with the first-team squad.

The 27-year-old – who has been training with the club’s development squad – has been frozen out by Pardew.

Asked if he had been tempted to play Ben Arfa against Wednesday, Pardew said bluntly: “Hatem wasn’t here.”