CARLO Ancelotti has admitted his interest in taking Yohan Cabaye to Paris Saint Germain — after missing out on Moussa Sissoko.
The Newcastle United midfielder is on Ancelotti’s summer wishlist.
And the Ligue 1 leaders have the financial muscle to make a serious offer for the 27-year-old, who has been watched by Manchester United this season.
Newcastle manager Alan Pardew — who signed midfielder Sissoko from Toulouse in January — is desperate to hold on to the France international.
Cabaye has proved an influential figure on and off the field since his move from Lille in the summer of 2011.
However, Ancelotti reiterated PSG sporting director Leonardo’s assertion that Cabaye could improve the team, and that has alarmed supporters, who regularly chant “don’t sell Cabaye”.
And money won’t be an issue for the club, which is owned by the Qatar Investment Authority.
“We are looking at several players to improve our side,” said Ancelotti.
“I’m not interested in the finances of a player - only his technical ability - and I’m working hard for the next transfer market.
“I dont look at the passports, I only look at the player. (Franck) Ribery, (Karim) Benzema and Cabaye are all quality players.
“Some say they have an advantage because they speak the language, but I don’t believe in only buying players because they are French. I believe in buying players who will make the team better.”
Leondaro said: “I like the idea of seeing great French players come back home.
“Maybe (Samir) Nasri, Cabaye or or Ribery. I don’t know if those deals can be done. I’ve had no contact with those players.
“But French players do well when they go abroad — Moussa Sissoko, who I wanted to sign before he went to Newcastle, and Cabaye, who is someone I appreciate a great deal.
“We could well do our shopping in England.”
The comments of Ancelotti and Leonardo won’t sit well with United’s hierarchy given their potential to unsettle Cabaye, who is under contract until the summer of 2016.
What is clear is that it would take a huge bid to prise Cabaye from Newcastle, who managing director Derek Llambias said last month would remain “difficult sellers”.
At the weekend, Man United were linked with a £20m move for Cabaye, who has always maintained he is happy at St James’s Park.
Meanwhile, United’s Ryan Taylor — who has suffered another cruciate ligament injury — has thanked the club’s fans for their messages of support.
Taylor was close to a comeback from the injury he suffered against Atromitos last August.
The 28-year-old broke down in training, and the club fear he could miss all of next season.
Taylor has been inundated with supportive messages on social networking site Twitter after the club broke the news.
And he tweeted: “Thanks for all the supportive messages everyone. It means a lot. For me it’s just another hurdle to overcome in my career.
“I’ve been here before and I’ll be back 1 day in the near future. Once again thank you for your support, it means so much to me.”
Goalkeeper Tim Krul will have the shoulder he dislocated in Sunday’s Tyne-Wear derby defeat to Sunderland pinned on Monday. The 25-year-old will return to training in late July.