QPR boss Harry Redknapp says Loic Remy does not want Newcastle return

STAYING A RANGER?  Loic Remy
STAYING A RANGER? Loic Remy

QPR boss Harry Redknapp has claimed striker Loic Remy does not want a return to Newcastle United, writes DANIEL PRINCE.

Remy, who spent last season on loan at St James’s Park, had been linked with a permanent move to Newcastle since seeing his move to Liverpool collapse.

However, he started in QPR’s opening game of the season against Hull City on Saturday, and Redknapp feels he will only leave Loftus Road for a “top seven” club.

He said: “Loic didn’t want to go back to Newcastle, which is a massive club, so unless it’s a club in the top seven I don’t think he’ll go.”

Redknapp believes that Remy would not leave QPR late in the transfer window.

He said: “With a week to go before the window closes, we all need to know where we’re going.

“I don’t think he would suddenly walk away the day before. I think he’s too decent a guy to do that.”

l ROLANDO Aarons will be stronger for his Premier League baptism of fire against Manchester City.

The teenager came off the bench to make his Newcastle United debut in Sunday’s 2-0 defeat to the champions.

Aarons earned his chance after impressing in pre-season.

And United manager Alan Pardew feels the 18-year-old can have a significant impact this season.

“Rolando will learn that he needs to make sure in possession on the halfway line, but he is definitely going to impact our season,” said Pardew, whose new-look side fared well for much of the game.

“There were a lot of things about our performance which bode well for the other 37 games. The new guys were all solid.”