Townsend’s point to prove at Newcastle – as Mags’ striker hunt goes to the wire

New Newcastle United signing Andros Townsend
New Newcastle United signing Andros Townsend
0
Have your say

Andros Townsend feels he has a “lot to prove” at Newcastle United after spending months in the reserves at Tottenham Hotspur.

The winger yesterday completed his £12million move to the club.

And the 24-year-old could make his debut away to Everton on February 3.

Townsend had spent the last months of his Tottenham career playing Under-21 Premier League football after a fall-out with a fitness coach at the London club earlier in the season.

The England international – who hopes his move to Newcastle can help him secure a place in Roy Hodgson’s squad for Euro 2016 – is now determined to make up for lost time on Tyneside.

United head coach Steve McClaren said: “Bringing Andros to the club is a great signing.

“He is a very good talent – who is a current England international – and should be one for years to come, too.

“Andros is a winger with an old-fashioned style. He can play on the right or the left, is two-footed, quick, very direct and loves taking on defenders and crossing the ball.

“He feels he has a lot to prove, and I can’t wait to see him do that in a Newcastle shirt.”

Townsend – who will wear the No 25 jersey – has signed a five-and-a-half year deal.

“I’m delighted to be here,” said Townsend. “Newcastle United is a fantastic club with great fans, a great stadium and great tradition.

“As soon as I heard Newcastle were interested in me, there was only one place I wanted to go so I can’t wait to get started.”

Meanwhile, Newcastle’s search for a striker is set to go to the wire.

West Bromwich Albion are digging their heels in over No 1 target Saido Berahino – and demanding £25million for the striker.

Tottenham, who are also keen to sign the 22-year-old, will not meet West Brom chairman Jeremy Peace’s valuation of a player who does not figure in Hawthorns head coach Tony Pulis’s plans.

The Tynesiders now have just four days to sign an alternative – unless Peace backs downs.

Chelsea’s Loic Remy is an alternative, and it is expected that the forward – who spent the 2013-14 season on loan at St James’s Park – will be allowed to leave this month if the club signs, as expected, Corinthians striker Alexandre Pato on a six-month loan.

France international Remy cannot afford to be on the fringes at Stamford Bridge ahead of Euro 2016.

Newcastle had been keen to do all their business before Monday’s transfer deadline.

But it is looking increasingly likely that the club’s search for a striker to ease the goalscoring burden on Aleksandar Mitrovic will drag on over the weekend.

Meanwhile, Newcastle defender Mike Williamson is set to join Championship club Wolves today.

Williamson was recalled from a loan spell at Molineux late last month amid an injury crisis on Tyneside. But the 32-year-old, out of contract in the summer, will be allowed to leave on a permanent deal for a £250,000 fee.

Williamson joined Newcastle six years ago from Portsmouth and helped the club win promotion to the Premier League.